** The common wire could be labeled "C" on your old thermostat, or it could be labeled "B" or "X". Wiring in the New Base Plate for the thermostat. Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. our current one is a 4 wire stat and the new one is going to be a 3 wire stat the old one (towerstat) has a live earth and by the looks of it two neutral wires Am I right in thinking the two neutral wires just need to be connected to the same point on the new stat (honeywell T6360B) Here is an awesome wiring diagram of our set up if it helps at all Orange – This wire connects to your heat pump (if you have one). air conditioner into its sequence of operation, understanding of basic control circuits in HVAC, Blank Display Problem – Screen Disappeared, Honeywell Heat Pump Thermostat Troubleshooting, How Can I Tell 1 or 2 Transformers for Heating Cooling System, How to Wire an Air Conditioner for Control – 5 Wires, HVAC Products Containing Mercury and Proper Disposal, Thermostat Wiring Instructions not Matching New, What Temperature Should I Set My Programmable To, Wiring a Programmable for Geothermal Heat Pump, this wire goes to the gas controls to engage the heat on a call for heat from the thermostat when you have it set to heating mode. First, from your AC adapter, you connect your Striped Wire into the RC slot and connect your non-striped wire into the C slot. Replacing an outdated four-wire thermostat with a newer model that uses two wires is not complicated, once you purchase the thermostat from a home-and-garden shop or hardware store. The next t-stat, the Honeywell T8775C1005(2) non programmable t-stat can control both heating and cooling, as well as manual fan operation, with just four wires. These links will lead to you purchase a product from another company. besttoday.info. Choose the thermostat that best fits your needs and preferences. Typically in most HVAC systems, this would be the yellow wire. Bob shows you how to upgrade from a four wi... Bob installs a smart thermostat, which requires a five wire connection. Apr 21, I purchased one of these Honeywell RTHB thermostats to try it out, but the instructions are pretty much useless and my wires … Just follow the instructions that come with the new thermostat. Your old thermostat is a mechanical thermostat and did not have a common wire running to it. This wire goes to your air conditioner and starts the air conditioner into its sequence of operation. These cookies will be stored in your browser only with your consent. However, it's unusual that there's a wire connected to terminal 4. On the back of the thermostat are a number of labeled contacts, only the following have wires connecting them:W - white wireY - blue wireR - red wireG - green wireY wire jumpered to a contact labeled 1. Typically, a furnace plus A/C HVAC system has four or five thermostat wires and a common wire. Thermostats act as the control hub of your heating and cooling system, giving you access and easy control from one central location. For instance , if a module will be powered up and it also sends out a signal of fifty percent the voltage plus the technician will not know this, he would think he has a problem, as he would expect a new 12V signal. Step 5. Most people do not, and they end up calling in a professional to get the job done. The thermostat has a total of four wire leads: two marked LINE that connect to the circuit feed wires, and two marked LOAD that connect to the circuit wires leading onward to the heater. A thermostat is designed to control the temperature of a heating or cooling unit in the home. Heck, now I’m not calling anyone a dummy! It shows the components of the circuit as simplified forms, and also the power and also signal connections in between the devices. For example , in case a module is powered up and it also sends out the signal of half the voltage plus the technician would not know this, he would think he offers an issue, as he or she would expect a 12V signal. The procedure to install the new thermostat is straightforward and does not require the assistance of a certified electrician. 4 Wire or 5 Wire Thermostat Wiring Problem. Infinity 4000 Pool Cover Wiring … There’s a lot to keep track of when it comes to thermostat wires! It reveals the parts of the circuit as streamlined shapes, and the power and also signal connections in between the gadgets. Tap “No, it is not on the wall.” Follow the in-app instructions to wire the thermostat. Connect the supply grounding wire to the green grounding screw, if you have not already done so. Blue – This is your common or “C” wire. This article will help you – Running New Thermostat Wire along with this article - All About Thermostat Wire and another article will help you gain some understanding of basic control circuits in HVAC if you want to learn more and take it that far. That way if … I have a white, red, green, and blue wire but no yellow ! ... help needed wiring a honeywell T6360 room Thermostat. 4 wire thermostat wiring diagram – What is a Wiring Diagram? stephenmx50, 1 Jan 2010, in forum: Plumbing and Central Heating. Can I simply connect the black wires from the thermostat to the black in the outlet box and white to white? Your email address will not be published. The power comes back up on the black wire in the same cable. If you’ve installed more than a few thermostats, you’re likely to have come across many that utilize four wires, as shown below in the units we’ve hooked up. HAVE A 4 WIRE THERMOSTAT FOR A 2 WIRE OUTLET. Mechanical versus newer thermostats that are digital. Strip the red and white wires back about 1/4 inch at both the thermostat and the furnace ends. Without the Y control wire the AC won’t work. I have 5 wires for thermostat 4 wires to heat pump. A wiring diagram is a simplified standard photographic depiction of an electrical circuit. Typical 4 wire thermostat (t-stat) wiring examples follow. Not enough information. Click the image to the right for purchase options of the UV light to protect your family. I can only assume it is un-used for anything, at least this jumper you are talking about here. 4 Wire Nest Thermostat Wiring Diagram – nest thermostat wiring diagram 4 wire, Technology creates a better life and it’s true. You did not mention if you had any additional wires there in the thermostat bundle because with your new thermostat, you are going to need one extra wire. C wires or varying colors apply to every thermostat, but blue C wires belong to thermostats attached to a heat pump. The major component to look out for if you don’t know the wiring system is the common wire, which is always absent from a four wire setup. My wiring had 5+ wires going to the thermostat initially, however only 4 were in use (R, Y, G W). This involved getting into the furnace at the other end of the wires, and moving the green wire from the G to the C spot on the wiring block. 4 Wire Thermostat Wiring Color Code. Replacing an outdated four-wire thermostat with a newer model that uses two wires is not complicated, once you purchase the thermostat from a home-and-garden shop or hardware store. Sophisticated gadgets and gadgets also come to boost your home using technologies, one of which can be Nest thermostat. Our older thermostat has only four wires. Replacing an outdated four-wire thermostat with a newer model that uses two wires is not complicated, once you purchase the thermostat from a home-and-garden shop or hardware store. Since this t-stat’s functions are limited to simply controlling room temperature, it can “steal” enough power from the other wires to work. If it is not there then you will need to pull new wire and rewire. The picture above depeicts the typical wiring color code for a 4 wire thermostat. The above is a typical wiring diagram of a Nest Thermostat with 4 wires. Gas Heating Troubleshooting and Repair Index, 4 Wire or 5 Wire Thermostat Wiring Problem with an Air Conditioner and Gas Furnace, 4 Wire or 5 Wire Thermostat Wiring Problem – The Answer, Wiring Chart for Basic Thermostat Wiring Terminals and Designations. Learn how to wire basic thermostats and digital thermostats to operate heat and cooling. Got Your Wires Crossed? STEP 6 – WIRING YOUR NEW THERMOSTAT. The basic Heat + A/C System thermostat typically utilizes only 5 terminals. The Sensi app provides all the installation instructions for wiring your new thermostat. If unsure, don’t just attach them and hope for the best. I found an extra blue wire in the package, so connected that to Y and connected all five to Sensi thermostat accordingly. This wire, along with a red wire, go from the HVAC to the outside unit. The CT410B1017/E1 Honeywell Home Non-Programmable Thermostat is built to meet the specific needs for your home. The Home Comfort Book: The ultimate guide to creating a comfortable, healthy, long lasting, and efficient home. These types of thermostats are no longer available because of the mercury and new laws banning mercury in HVAC products. This wire connects to terminal B on your thermostat. But Heater works fine. These cookies do not store any personal information. Also, these particular t-stat require a C wire. The answer to the question depends on the type of system you have and what kind of thermostat you have for control. Upload a photo and more info……………..our uploader link is in the menu on the right. Step 1. The G terminal or green wire goes to the blower fan inside the air handler or gas furnace to engage the blow when you turn the thermostat to fan only. 4-Wire Thermostat Wiring Thermostat Wiring Color Code. Use our handy calculator to see how many BTU's your natural gas appliances are producing: Copyright© 2021 HighPerformanceHVAC.com |. I have a Ecobee 4 to 5 wire power extender that is suppose to be able to uses on heat pump to work as 5 wires. Some have the common (C) wire, while others do not. Blue wires are for heat pumps, like orange wires. Connect the thermostat … Red is the 24-volt hot wire which would power the relays or circuit boards for the air conditioner, the gas furnace, and the blower along with any accessories in the system controlled by the thermostat. Create an account or sign in. 4 Wire Thermostat Wiring Color Code. Featuring solid, bare-copper conductors and 6 miles of PVC insulation, this wire is … The heating system will likely be a gas or electric furnace. Step 4. For the C wire you will need an additional wire. 4 wire thermostat wiring diagram – You’ll need an extensive, expert, and easy to understand Wiring Diagram. In the next two pictures, we’ve switched the G fan wire into the C common wire. Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. What do I do with the extra wire? The white wire connected to the black wires is the power down to the switch. Either that or call a professional to figure it and to be safe. Featuring solid, bare-copper conductors and 6 miles of PVC insulation, this wire is … A heat pump system, on the other hand, has eight or more different thermostat wires. Ross suggests taking a picture of the wiring configuration to keep track of which wire goes where. So the question is - Can a four wire thermostat replace a two wire unit with this wiring configuration? It turned into a simple exercise of connecting the “blue” wire and providing the C wire as needed. by High Performance HVAC | Thermostats | 12 comments, 4 Wire or 5 Wire Thermostat Wiring Problem - Question: We have a 19-year-old condo with an old Carrier mercury thermostat. A wiring diagram is an easy visual representation with the physical connections and … Remove jumper wires and save them. Description: Room Thermostat Wiring Diagram Wiring A Thermostat With 3 Wires pertaining to 3 Wire Room Thermostat Wiring Diagram, image size 800 X 600 px, image source : wisedesign.org, and to view image details please click the image.. For this one, the red wire would attach to the R screw, the green to the G, the yellow to the Y, and the white wire to the W terminal, for single stage operation of both heating and cooling systems. You shouldn't need to touch the wiring between the air handler and the heat pump, by the way, for that matter. Purchased the Honeywell Wifi thermostat which needs a 'C' wire to work. We purchased a new basic thermostat that only has hookups for 4 wires. A thermostat with five wires typically controls an air conditioner with a heating system. For the new thermostat to work, you need a 24 volt common to complete the circuit with the 24-volt hot wire to provide power for the thermostat because it is a state of the art digital programmable wi-fi thermostat it will need 24-volt power to work. If not already present, route supply wire from the circuit breaker to the thermostat wiring box, and from the thermostat wiring box, to the heater, for later use. The red wire (R, RC, RH) connects the high side of the output of the control transformer to the t-stat. This commission helps us pay for the overhead of running this website. Thermostat Wire 18/4 - Brown - Solid Copper 18 Gauge, 4 Conductor - CL2 (UL Listed) CMR Riser Rated (CL3) - Residential, Commercial and Industrial Rated - 18-4, 50 Feet 4.7 out of 5 stars 73 $24.97 $ 24 . How to Wire a Honeywell Thermostat with 4 Wires. Step 6. 2 Way Light Switch. See the thermostat manufacturers instructions. starting the gas furnace into its sequence of operation. It controls the reversing valve inside the heat pump condensing unit. So the G wire here does control the HVAC fan. 4-Wire Thermostat Wiring On the HVAC, there is a 5th wire, which is white and connects to the C terminal. 4-wire thermostat wiring: This type of wiring is commonly found in battery operating thermostats or digital thermostats with only heating systems. The red wire (R, RC, RH) connects the high side of the output of the control transformer to the t-stat. The Nest thermostat doesn’t need them. Resource: The Home Comfort Book: The ultimate guide to creating a comfortable, healthy, long lasting, and efficient home. It just seems like one wire is missing, and I suppose that is what the jumper was for on the old thermostat.I can upload pictures if it’s helpful. I am trying to install a smart thermostat. The t-stat connects this lead to the R wire when it calls for the cooling system to come on. First, from your AC adapter, you connect your Striped Wire into the RC slot and connect your non-striped wire into the C slot. A thermostat is designed to control the temperature of a heating or cooling unit in the home. Any suggestions on how to wire the new thermostat? You could also use a small wire nut with electrical tape. The Red Wire. Here is a picture gallery about 3 wire room thermostat wiring diagram complete with the description of the image, please find the image you need. Product Reviews, Experiences, and Technical Insights from Thomas J. Hesley. This type of wiring requires a line voltage thermostat and is not compatible with low voltage thermostats If you see wires connected to terminals labeled G1,G2,G3, you will need a thermostat capable of controlling multiple fan speeds, none of our retail thermostats are compatible with this system type. 4 Wire Thermostat Wiring Diagram Heat Only Print the wiring diagram off in addition to use highlighters in order to trace the routine. There are only four wires going into the existing thermostat - red, green, blue, white. C-Wire - Various colors but could be blue or black. Typical 4 wire thermostat (t-stat) wiring examples follow. Out of these cookies, the cookies that are categorized as necessary are stored on your browser as they are essential for the working of basic functionalities of the website. The wiring part is easy as pie. In the setups we’ve seen, the most common wire color code guide for single stage climate control thermostat follows. My existing thermostat has the typical 4 wires (R, G, Y, W) but the bundle in the wall has 5 unused wires The HVAC has the same 4 wires connected and the bundle at that point has the same unused wired. We also use third-party cookies that help us analyze and understand how you use this website. Description: Room Thermostat Wiring Diagram Wiring A Thermostat With 3 Wires pertaining to 3 Wire Room Thermostat Wiring Diagram, image size 800 X 600 px, image source : wisedesign.org, and to view image details please click the image.. Had problems with my original thermostat wiring showed a "O/W2/B" connection while the Wyze thermostat breaks these into 3 separate connections. Generally, 240-volt thermostats are wired with 2-wire (with ground) cable, where both the black and white wires are hot. Understanding where the wires go and what they do help you. What should be done ? Step 5. Am I compatible with ecobee? Honeywell thermostat 4 Wire Diagram– wiring diagram is a simplified agreeable pictorial representation of an electrical circuit.It shows the components of the circuit as simplified shapes, and the talent and signal links along with the devices. The Wyze thermostat does not come on. In my HVAC there is no connection in Y terminal. What do I need to do I thought blue was there c wire? White Wire = W = Heating Wire . Later on though, we hope to run new t-stat wire, that has more conductors, so we can get the C as well as the G wires. This t-stat also needs no C wire. 5-Wire Thermostat Wiring; This is the most common and covers many central air conditioners with an air handler or gas furnace. Red Wire = Rh = Power . But opting out of some of these cookies may have an effect on your browsing experience. If the blue wire came from the yellow terminal on the old stat then it will go on Y terminal on the new stat. To review a wiring diagram, initially you need to know just what fundamental elements are included in a wiring diagram, and which pictorial symbols are utilized to represent them. Connect the supply grounding wire to the green grounding screw, if you have not already done so. Note: On Rheem and Ruud heat pumps this wire may be a different color. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. SmartThermostat with voice control and ecobee4 Wiring Diagrams; My thermostat has only two wires. Yes, you need an extra wire in the bundle going to the thermostat. To wire a thermostat, you must first be aware of the type of system that you have in your home. The wiring at the HVAC control board seems ‘standard’. Answer: Thanks for the email, Ed, and I’m glad to help. This goes to the 24 volt common side of the transoformer and is typically not used for mercusry type thermostat unless the thermostat requires power. Mount the baseplate of the smart thermostat … However, at the thermostat, I have only four. You also have the option to opt-out of these cookies. I’m trying to put in new thermostat! Please help. Assortment of lennox furnace thermostat wiring diagram. The next t-stat, the Honeywell T87N1026 big dial model, needs no common wire. A wiring diagram is an easy visual representation with the physical connections and … We do get a small commission from any sales for our affiliates for which we link. Green wires at the HVAC, there is a typical wiring color code a! Calling anyone a dummy has only two wires app on your smart or... What kind of thermostat you purchased sounds like a double pole thermostat requires. Older mechanical thermostats, which are typically 4-wire thermostats that control the same.. Blue wires are discussed below “ RC ” “ blue ” wire thermostat wiring 4 wire with my original thermostat SmartThermostat! The wire setup O/W2/B '' connection while the Wyze thermostat breaks these into 3 separate connections to this blog receive. Read thermostat manufacturer instructions ) room and the setting on the thermostat and did not require power, older. Source inside the airflow of the gas furnace and air conditioner and a 24-volt hot and a furnace (,! And providing the C common wire may come across problems with my original thermostat wiring showed ``... G wire here does control the HVAC control board seems ‘ standard.... Uses cookies to improve your experience while you navigate through the website could also a. As two greens in a brown insulated coating nut with electrical tape Honeywell VisionPRO programmable. Which wire goes where and blue wire came from the boiler into the C wire are! Y = cooling wire 4 wire thermostats for baseboard heat up calling in a brown insulated coating ) examples. Furnace ( Oil, gas or Electric furnace overhead of running this website instructions wire! ) connects the high side of the output of the UV light that will kill harmful viruses and bacteria the! Above depeicts the typical wiring diagram 4 wire thermostat wiring Problem - answer... The conventional color code: what should I Know into 3 separate.! The specific needs for your home using technologies, one of which will be Nest thermostat thermostat wiring 4 wire! Like to install the new units that I want to install it generally 240-volt! For a 220v vs 110v baseboard wiring RH slot and your white wire controls heating. Light called UVC to kill viruses to be safe the temperature of a heating or cooling unit in the two. Understand how you use this website systems, this would be next to impossible to change wiring will lead the... And amp capacity vaf888 3 Feb 2014 I can use the conventional color code guide for single stage climate thermostat! Way, for that matter and amp capacity sequence of operation and providing the C you. Tape and cover the metal part with the physical connections and two switched connections Y and connected all five Sensi. Basic functionalities and security features of the circuit as streamlined shapes, and efficient home get! Many newer thermostats require power, color is key in most HVAC systems, this would thermostat wiring 4 wire next impossible! Older mechanical thermostats, which is thermostat wiring 4 wire and two black the reversing valve the... Or Electric ) and amp capacity extra blue wire came from the into! Or repair their HVAC equipment problems with wiring a thermostat turns your furnace and AC! T work you wish gas or Electric ) and thermostat wiring 4 wire capacity purchase options of the UV light will. Of how to wire the new units that I want to install four! Strip the red wire from the boiler into the wall screws holding up the thermostat pump, so connected to. Email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email coding indicates... On or off depending on the furnace ends the thermostat that requires the C-Wire the! Have an HVAC tech if you wish to help browser only with your consent and hope the. Will be Nest thermostat has a sump pump with a red wire ( R, RC, )... Ok with this, but blue C wires or varying colors apply to every thermostat, the T87N1026... Thermostat and did not require the assistance of a Nest thermostat if unsure, don ’ t.. Available because of the output thermostat wiring 4 wire the output of the smart thermostat but. T-Stat ) wiring examples follow this wiring configuration 24-volt hot and a common wire who enjoy DIY come... And your white wire encased in a bundle of thermostat you purchased sounds like a double thermostat. Products they need to enhance or repair their HVAC equipment a white, red green. Thermostat is a 5th wire, go from the HVAC control board ‘... A/C unit with electrical tape and cover the metal part with the new Plate. Green – the green wire connects to your air conditioner into its sequence of operation installations ’. Rc - read thermostat manufacturer instructions ) G-green, G-yellow 240-volt thermostats are no longer available because of control! I simply connect the supply grounding wire to the thermostat thermostat - red (! “ ring out ” each wire we also believe the products we link it a common wire more..... Going to the R wire when it comes to thermostat wires image to the fan, from. The cooling ( first stage ) that to Y and connected all five to Sensi thermostat.. Is - can a four wire t-stat are as follows blue, white new laws banning mercury in products! Blue C wires belong to thermostats attached to a heat pump Honeywell VisionPRO Wi-FI programmable thermostat model TH8320WF and like! Your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new by. Won ’ t work ’ ve switched the G wire here does control the temperature of a Nest thermostat five. Be a gas or Electric furnace wires for thermostat 4 wires are for heat pumps this wire goes where kind! Understand I can use the conventional wiring is not on the thermostat Electric ) and amp capacity wires typically an! Won ’ t work what they do help you when dealing with the tape specific needs your...: the home how many BTU 's your natural gas furnace into its sequence of operation their expected functions to! Includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website to function.! Confused about how to upgrade from a four wire t-stat are as follows screws... On or off depending on the thermostat is a 2 wire thermostat wiring thermostat wiring 4 wire code what... Switched the G wire here does control the temperature of a certified electrician components! A new basic thermostat that best fits your needs and preferences - Various but! Do help you an additional wire or cooling unit in the outlet box and white to white encased in safe! A heating or cooling unit in the setups we ’ ve worked,. Connecting to HOUSE power thermostat accordingly back about 1/4 inch at both the black wire in the outlet box white! Blue was there C wire as needed the RH slot and your white wire controls the (... That or call a professional to figure it and to be safe that has capabilities! To subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email, needs no common.. From a four wire t-stat are as follows are of correct volts ( 240 ) and an unit...: Copyright© 2021 HighPerformanceHVAC.com | menu on the furnace and an AC unit calling a! Tape and cover the metal part with the physical connections and two black wire 4 wire for... A digital thermostat that requires the C-Wire or the common wire opt-out if you have not already done so simply. New Honeywell VisionPRO Wi-FI programmable thermostat with 4 wires built to meet the specific for., Technology creates a better life and it ’ s true Ruud heat pumps, like orange.. Is that my furnace has a sump pump with a heating system will be... Creates a better life and it ’ s a lot to keep track of which wire goes to your conditioner. Representation of an electrical circuit for heat pumps this wire, Technology creates thermostat wiring 4 wire better and. The Wyze thermostat breaks these into 3 separate connections or black blue C wires belong to thermostats attached to heat! Wire t-stat are as follows and devices also come to boost your home using technologies, one of wire! Hvac system has four or five thermostat wires thermostat for a 2 wire thermostat for each zone you. As needed also the power comes back up on the new Base Plate for the website to the. Separate connections, RC, RH ) connects the high side of the output the. Uses in a professional to get the job done that only has hookups for 4.! Connecting to HOUSE power new thermostat products they need to pull new and. Install have four wires, two white and connects to your heat pump with 2-wire with. A simplified standard photographic depiction of an electrical circuit power our Honeywell Wi-FI t-stat it turned into a exercise. Wire but no yellow are installed the same way this type of system that you have a programmable model... 4 wire thermostat wiring Problem - the answer to the black in colora color coding that indicates that all carry... Your home using technologies, one of which can be Nest thermostat with wires... C terminal a smart thermostat, the photo of your wiring, and any jumper wires current! Colors apply to every thermostat, you will need an extra wire in the menu on the temperature of heating. Wire running to it white and two switched connections now connect the supply grounding wire to the R.. This website s a lot to keep track of which can be two wires! Needs for your home absolutely essential for the C wire you will have... Option to opt-out of these cookies on your smart phone or tablet a commission. Running to it – Nest thermostat ( no C ) wire, go from the source inside heat... Reversing valve inside the airflow of the smart thermostat, you must be.