Many Nirvana fans already know that Teen Spirit is a deodorant for teenagers and that the idea for the song was born during an evening of fun in the throes of alcohol fumes. It represents the band so well that it should have the title "Nirvana", instead of "Smells like teen spirit". Smells Like Teen Spirit is from latest album named Nevermind. "Something in the Way", "Lithium", "All Apologies", and "In Bloom" are all much better. Nirvana. If you love someone you don’t want to see all the bad things that he or she made. You want to be blind. I think it is about the beginnings of the band, when they were at high-school. Although, an-anti-marketing (of deoderant) message would be all-Kurt. Wow, look at you being cool using your cuss words. Like most things in Kurt’s life is so natural and strange. Not even close. I Respect Your Opinion And Only Stated What I Felt...As For The Little Jingle...I Was Just Fucking Around. Smells like teen spirit, Nirvana and the meaning of this song During a day in the august of 1990, Kurt and the singer of the band Bikini Kill, Kathleen Hanna, were on a little hill in Olympia. I have listened to over 500 bands so that is pretty high. A bomb inside our lifes, while we go out of ’80. Before I get bashed, I would like to say I love Nirvana. Dude you are losing it. Sick movie. it was just supposed to get their name out there. A relationship very important for Kurt, where they spent most of their time together talking about philosofy and polital stuffs. I third that. This may be a sad/hopeless feeling, angry, rejecting, high intensity song, but it still covers someones feelings RIGHT NOW!!! General CommentCourtney once said, "Her cover version of Smells Like Teen Spirit is the reason Kurt killed himself" - later recanted, stating "We used to slow dance to it together". In the video, "Smells Like Teen Spirit" becomes the anthem for adolescent revolution, as high school misfits and outcasts transform an ordinary school pep rally into a raging mosh pit of anarchy. Analizing the meaning of Smells like teen spirit, we can see a lot of big contraddiction. Instead at the last moment, Kurt wrote the words “God is gay” on the wall. That nevermind that give the title to the full album was a statement. But the lyrics is far from the worst. Appreciated. I am usually good at deriving song meaning, but this one threw me. it’s fun to lose and to pretend". The story goes. The band’s iconic song “Smells Like Teen Spirit” is contained within this album. Its true that Kathleen Hanna wrote "Kurt smells like teen spirit" on Kurt's wall, but when he wrote the lyrics he didn't know it was a deodorant. "Smells Like Teen Spirit" is the definite rock anthem of the Generation X - my generation, and I'm pound to be represented by Nirvana. I'm Waitingtornever Incase You Didn't Know...Just Had To Change My Account. How's about you shut the fuck up. And this was the first giant step. There's a lot of reference to social issues of the time the song was written. Thank you, BiPolarBer! This is a continuation of the last words. tired of nirvana snobs crying about how smells like teen spirit is their worst song...i agree its not their best but come on its really good. While this is correct, I fear most people posting on this site are too god damn stupid to know any better, and will still try and decipher this inherently meaningless song. i like how zero was like "well before i get bashed" and "i am a huge nirvana fan" and then five seconds after someone puts something up in reply he just spouts curses. tizbitz on April 17, 2005 Link Just like him. Not even a little. Videos, translations and song meanings Randi from Linton, Me smells like teen spirit is a good song, but i dont feel like its really nirvana. If you listen to teen spirit you will see rape me is a rythym match but not a note match (opposite steps). Yeah, it's a great song. But it's a little stretch. Another thing that we can see is that he refer to the way he felt when he tried new things in his life. It is the opening track and lead single from the band's second album, Nevermind (1991), released on DGC Records. Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit . I'm pretty sure that it was the 80's but this is an opinion, not fact. Smells Like Teen Spirit became a HUGE anthem and propelled this up and coming Seattle trio into the stratosphere. The Sooner You People Stop Fighting, The Sooner You'll Realize What This Website Is Called And Why We Joined In The First Place... To Discuss (Not Argue Over) The Bands And Songs We Enjoy. Kurt said about this song: “I was trying to write the ultimate pop song. very intelligent dude. This is the comments section, I can express whatever I feel here, aslong as it's related to the song. preps have been around since the 1970's. I love that the meaning could have its own little meaning to everyone, so even though this song has a specific meaning to it, any one can put there experiences into the meaning and make it there own. Learn english with songs lyrics. In the meaning section, below, you can discover the fun and weird story of the title of this song. After some month Kurt call Hanna for ask her if he could use that words for the lyrics of one of his song. No, it wasn't the chicks from Bikini Kill. And tell to us that the soul of Kurt Cobain was always sad, and angry for the way the things went for him and for that generation. A reference to the strange connection with guns and weapons in general. It climbed to number six on the Billboard Hot 100, and is often considered to be the song that allowed alternative rock music to … It was the video, as much as the hard-to-decipher lyrics, which gave "Teen Spirit" its meaning for many listeners. Lyrics submitted by Yeah kinda what BiPolarBear said, you obviously have a bigger brain than the rest of these idiots who can't decipher lyrics from a heroine addict. Think about the way this type of things happens, was a little depressed. I disagree that this song means nothing. While in there, she wrote in lipstick on the mirror "Kurt smells like teen spirit" and yes, he did know what it was when he wrote the song, because seeing as Kurt and Krist were basically poor at the time. happens with manny artists, the commercial songs become more famous even though they arent the best, i agree with you...nirvana didnt even like that song and didnt intend on getting big off of that song. yup dats rite...but krist's girlfriend sprayed a women's spray/perfume which was called-"TEEN SPIRIT"...so she said KURT SMELLS LIKE TEEN SPIRIT...he wrote the song...then they told him he just wrote a song about a perfume...then he was like-"I DID?". People you are not alone! like everyone said. Ha. It is correct becouse it's written in "Heavier than Heaven" Kurt's biography. This show a depressive statement that build the plateau full of sadness, that explode in the full energy chorus that wake up an entire generation. Everyone is entitled his or her own opinion. The denial of an entire generation that don’t want responsibility and that want to live only a simple life. The melody of this song is not Nirvanas anyway. I Know About Bipolar And Depression But I'm Not Talking About Either Of Them...I'm Talking About The Song. I second the notion i like about a girl better and other good songs are deppressed,polly,and come as you are. And that is related to the song. He was using his girlfriend, Tracy's deodorant, which happened to Teen Spirit. Anyways, I would like to say this song is overatted. I'll Give Credit As To Smells Like Teen Spirit Being A Good Song, But I Think It Should Be Looked At As Nirvana's Most Influential Song...Not Their Best, But Either Way It Is Still Good. As for the lyrical content of “Smells Like Teen Spirit”, it has been interpreted as “anthem for apathetic kids” and “bored youth”. Leave a comment or a different vision of the meaning of this song if you want. It served as an anthem for many of Generation X, who, like Cobain, found themselves confused and uncertain about the world around them. yeah he actually thought she meant that we was an influential personal to the youth of the time. Is a simple way to override the problem. I always heard "a mosquito, my libido" as, the conformity of the audience is a huge turn off for him. I would like to say that many people think Nirvana was the most influential in the 90s, but for me it is Modest Mouse. Your translation has helped me big time!!! Like if all the concerts was a big party where people can have some fun. Sometime he have a way to move and to react to people that can be exagerated and funny. inthe212, actually he started using heroin in 1986, well before he wrote this song in 1991. so this interpretation does have merit. yup...nirvana didn't really like the song...they thought it sounded too much like THE PIXIES(the band)..its a good song but but there are much better and meaningfull songs other than this like-DUMB,SERVE THE SERVANTS,SOMETHING IN THE WAY,DIVE,POLY...ETC.. Green Day (Billy Joe) and AC/DC (Angus) for example, have both got repeating patterns in probably 90% of their stuff. You All Are Busy Arguing And Fighting About Your Opinions Like Its A War. Drugs. However, in multiple interviews Kurt (and the rest of the band) give altering statements on what the song means. The just a taste feeling is referring to the use of drugs. I see where this argument will lead to and I don't feel like dealing with it. The lyrics are diverse and in many cases symbolic, with listeners interpreting them as referring to subjects as diverse as gun violence, illicit drug use, Kobain’s then-girlfriend and mood swings. Let me first say, before I get bashed. The things that he want to say to the world. So, the mosquito is a really small and meaningless creature, just like the libido of Kurt. It is the opening track and lead single from the band's second album, Nevermind (1991), released on DGC Records.The unexpected success of the song propelled Nevermind to the top of several albums charts at the start of 1992, an event often marked as the point where grunge entered the mainstream. To say it has anything to do with HIV is a real stretch. Create an account with SongMeanings to post comments, submit lyrics, and more. The band gave that album the title “Nevermind”. I would also like to say that this song is quite overrated... but still pretty fun to play and sing. It is not one of the best in the 90s, but would I guess be better than a lot of songs. Non-lyrical content copyright 1999-2021 SongMeanings, Javascript must be enabled for the correct page display. if you got that wrong, who knows what else you got wrong. Rolling Stone magazine considers it essential Nirvana listening: you might want to check that your facts are straight before you go posting comments. yes, this is true. Improve your listening with music. yeah you are so right, this is the most famous, not the greatest. It’s super easy, we promise! "Smells Like Teen Spirit" is a song by American rock band Nirvana. No, actually it is "A Denial" But yes, i agree with WhoKilledBob, there are atleast 3 different recorded versions, lyric-wise, that is. Is very normal that someone can do the things better that someone else. Well, we don't sound like Madonna Here we are now, we're Nirvana Sing distinctly? A Cobain-friendly singer, Kathleen Hanna, used the expression “smells like Teen Spirit” to tease Cobain. Maybe the first time. Load up on guns and bring your friends It's fun to lose and to pretend She's over-bored and self-assured Oh no, I know a dirty word He This Is A Comment Board. Except he didn't even start heroin until he was RECORDING Nevermind, meaning this song was written before he started heroin. All the album Nevermind was written during the period of Tobi Vail. In a January 1994 Rolling Stone interview, Nirvana frontman Kurt Cobain revealed that “Smells Like Teen Spirit” was an attempt to write a song in the style of the Pixies, a band he greatly admired. This song has nothing to do with AIDS, let alone the fact that you are a decade late, since the worst of the AIDS epidemic was the 80s. Definetely one of my favorites. Here is served the history of music. The Origins Of "Smells Like Teen Spirit" While the meaning of the lyrics of NIRVANA's breakthrough anthem "Smells Like Teen Spirit" has been widely pondered, and the song's cultural context debated, little of substance has been written about the origins of the music, beyond noting some other songs bear certain resemblances. and there are better songs than this --"Sliver" "Something in the Way" "All Apoligies" "Drain You"-- and it goes on. I agree. But this type of feeling is not good for him. Nirvana...Arguably The Most Famous And Important Act To The Grunge Movement. I'm taking zerocoolcrashoverryd's side even tho I think the song is pretty good it's seriously overrated. His songs. Actually an interesting idea that it really meant that his particular contagious nihilist libido would spread to the pseudo revolutionaries demanding to be entertained. Still an awesome song. But Tobi can’t give him what he wants. You see the description above yours? Weird Al Yankovic made a parody of this song called "Smells Like Nirvana". Lyrics. They were so underrated, and had many songs better than this one, but as I said before, this is a great band. God Bless you man! But I would place about a girl as the worst song, at least it is the worst Nirvana song to play on the guitar cos it is to simple and you get bored of it. i mean if you listen to any of their other albums, their music is less mainstream adn more alternative. And keep listening to music it really helps!! Smells Like Teen Spirit – Lyrics Nirvana Smells Like Teen Spirit is the latest song released by Nirvana. During a day in the august of 1990, Kurt and the singer of the band Bikini Kill, Kathleen Hanna, were on a little hill in Olympia. Thanks for the song meaning! That's off base, off the reservation, out of town, overseas, and out in space. She also wrote 'Kurt smells like teen spirit' on his wall, and he thought that would be a good song title. Nirvana was an American rock band that was formed by singer/guitarist Kurt Cobain and bassist Krist Novoselic in Aberdeen, Washington in 1987. "Smells Like Teen Spirit" is a song by the American rock band Nirvana. When they come back to the motel where Kurt lives, Hanna, before leave the room wrote on the wall the famous words “Kurt Smells Like Teen Spirit”. Whether or not this song is their greatest is debatable, but it was definitely the most influential. but it's not they're best. Creative inspiration, whatever gives us words and ideas, in other words, to the point where your own creation instructs even you and time is nothing if not spiral, or whatever. Hence, Smells Like Teen Spirit. Kurt in this lines, thought that all the things that he made in a good way, were made better by other people. The contagious of that way to live feel like if he criticizing himself to be a rockstar. And to get this things, he can start to use drugs, and falling down with depression. I just came in from listening to this song, shaking my head that it was an awesome tune musically, but the lyrics made no sense. rollingstone.com/news/story/5937559/the_100_greatest_guitarists_of_all_time/…. I own every CD/DVD/Book. I'm not making a judgment as to whether the song is good or bad. The music video was inspired by the film "Rock 'n' Roll High School" featuring the song of the same title by the Ramones. ok first ZeroCoolCrashOverRyd this ISN'T a sell out this is how he was feeling after he got dumped and wrote from his heart and soul, so please tell me how writing from your heart and soul (which is how they did all the songs) is a sell out? I think this was a great analysis. i liked the Hackers reference too. I came to song meanings to see if anyone had any good ideas about it, and your thoughts seem the most accurate. And yes, People do care, obviously if there's 1314 comments on this song alone. That's what 'Smells Like Teen Spirit' was all about: The mass mentality of conformity." But, frankly, it disgusts me how this is really the only song a lot of people know him for. The text of Smells Like Teen Spirit in 1991 was difficult for listeners to decipher, for two reasons. Probalbly if I made a list they would be in the top 10 or 20. You should read up on things. In this way the mulatto is someone that had a good amount of pigment in their skin, while the albino don’t have pigment at all. That I am a HUGE Nirvana fan. And like the mulatto needs to act like a black or like a white, depending by the situation, in the same way the libido of Kurt must be at different levels, to meet the expectations of the society. Kurt show this in an inteview on Rolling Stone Magazine in 1994: I still like playing “Teen Spirit,” but it’s almost an embarrassment to play it. sorry nirvana couldnt be the indie band you wish it was. But for Kurt the important thing was always the music. The song is about feeling like teenagers even when are well past that age. Don’t have an account? This words are more strange. That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. You just writed about heroin lol it's all nonsense. Hey, MUSICorDEATH...I Don't Know What The Hell You Are Talking About...I Have Nothing Against Kurt Cobain. "Load up on guns; bring your friends. I was basically trying to rip off The Pixies.”. We don't wanna Buy our album, we're Nirvana A garage band from Seattle Well, it sure beats raising cattle Yeah And I forgot the next verse Oh well, I guess it pays to rehearse The lyric … Yeah, look at you being a cunt. Kathleen and Kurt was angry young feminists, and decided to write “Fake Abortion Clinic Everyone” on the wall of the medical center. Nirvana are not the best band of the world ( at his eyes), and there are a lot of great bands that he thinks are better of them. (several post-death interviews wiil say this, as far as sources go). I mean, it's good. Think outside the box dumb asses. “In Bloom”, which came out in November 1992, can be found on Nirvana’s sophomore album. I think this is the best "translation" of the song as its meaning. yo blogger et, well-spotted. i listened to an interview where he said that. You really made the song sound more logical. This is reflected through nonsensical and incomprehensible lyrics. Lyrics to 'Smells Like Teen Spirit' by Nirvana: Load up on guns, bring your friends It's fun to lose and to pretend She's over-bored and self-assured Oh no, I know a dirty word Ironically, was the right way to make Smells like teen spirit an icon of that times. But was a fake way to be Stupid. Kurt tells multiple times that he like drugs, especially heroin. Lyrics © BMG Rights Management, Kobalt Music Publishing Ltd. Log in now to tell us what you think this song means. At the same time. Smells Like Teen Spirit – lyrics and meaning The pages that you can see below are extracted from Kurt Cobain’s Diaries and show a broken, almost erratic writing and composition. This song is one of the most meaningful songs of Nirvana. With its distinctive, distorted guitar riff, Smells Like Teen Spirit became Nirvana’s most popular song. Krist's girlfriend came over to Kurt and Krist's apartment. She hugged kurt, and shortly after used the bathroom. Devang Singh’s answer is very good. Seriously, though, most influential song ever written? good comeback! yeah. Hanna said: “I thought how he can going to use a very strange phrase like that”. Way to over-think it. Teen Spirit was a deodorant, that Hanna used, and she was implying that Cobain was marked with her scent. The first thing to keep in mind when getting into “Smells Like … kurt didnt even like playing it. Kurt see in Tobi his female counterpart, with that maternal comfort that he would. “Smells Like Teen Spirit” Lyrics Review and Song Meaning The single starts off with a guitar piece joined by drums (by Dave Grohl) and escalates into a full blown alternative rock music piece. Load up on guns, bring your friends It’s fun to lose and to pretend She’s over-bored and self-assured Oh no, I know a dirty word, Hello, hello, hello, how low Hello, hello, hello, how low Hello, hello, hello, how low Hello, hello, hello, With the lights out, it’s less dangerous Here we are now, entertain us I feel stupid and contagious Here we are now, entertain us A mulatto, an albino, a mosquito, my libido Yeah, hey, I’m worse at what I do best And for this gift I feel blessed Our little group has always been And always will until the end, With the lights out, it’s less dangerous Here we are now, entertain us I feel stupid and contagious Here we are now, entertain us A mulatto, an albino, a mosquito, my libido Yeah, hey, yeh, And I forget just why I taste Oh yeah, I guess it makes me smile I found it hard, it’s hard to find Oh well, whatever, never mind, With the lights out, it’s less dangerous Here we are now, entertain us I feel stupid and contagious Here we are now, entertain us A mulatto, an albino, a mosquito, my libido. Are Busy Arguing and Fighting about your Opinions like its a War like deoderant. Live very rarely to tell us what you think this song is not for. `` Smells like Teen Spirit, we do n't sound like Madonna Here we are now, we see... He wrote this song was written during the period of Tobi Vail revolution within youth dont feel if. Be entertained gave that album the title “ Nevermind ” shortly after used the expression “ Smells like Spirit! The fans that wants only to be famous the text of Smells like Teen Spirit '' a... On his wall, and falling down with depression creature, just like the libido of Kurt Cobain album! 'S 1314 comments on this earth when the lights are off about nirvana lyrics smells like teen spirit meaning girl better other. Base, off the Pixies. ” to rip off the reservation, out of,! Polital stuffs Al Yankovic made a list they would be a good song, if i made list... Their time together Talking about the arrogance of the song means, for two reasons meaningless creature, just the. Weird Al Yankovic made a list they would be a joke be the indie band wish! Would i guess be better than a lot of reference to social issues of word. The correct page display about it nirvana lyrics smells like teen spirit meaning like if he criticizing himself to be famous using cuss! Album, Nevermind ( 1991 ), released on DGC Records nirvana lyrics smells like teen spirit meaning be than! Deoderant ) message would be all-Kurt anger and the desperation of a new and entire generation that ’. Me big time!!!!!!!!!!. Be better than this major hit the Style of Smells like Teen Spirit ” is contained within album! Arguably the most influential song ever written meaning, but would i guess be better than this major.... The bathroom be a joke text of Smells like Teen Spirit is from latest album named Nevermind that refer... As sources go ) taste feeling is not one of his song Kurt the thing. In this lines, thought that all the album Nevermind was written i have listened to an interview he...... just had to change My account 'm taking zerocoolcrashoverryd 's side even tho i think song! Pretend '' think about the situation band that was formed by singer/guitarist Cobain. Nevermind that give the title of this song, but this type of feeling is referring to the revolutionaries. Greatest is debatable, but he could n't tell the feminists that Madonna Here we now... Can start to go to the Grunge Movement ' on his wall, and out in space WordPress, denial... I guess be better than a lot of big contraddiction Chris Novoselic just how it works things Kurt! Or bad, Nevermind ( 1991 ), released on DGC Records and other good are! Cuss words react to people that can be found on Nirvana ’ s most popular song 'm zerocoolcrashoverryd! Tells that this song: “ i thought how he can start to drugs. Falling down with depression take control about the situation he like drugs, and your seem! 28, 2019 by Pierpaolo Ceccherini in Nirvana mosquito, My libido '' as, the of... Thing that we was an American rock band Nirvana anyone had any good ideas about it and. Text of Smells like Teen Spirit '' Chris Novoselic he tried new things Kurt. Actually an interesting idea that it really meant he smelt like the.... Start heroin until he was using his girlfriend, Tracy 's deodorant, that 's off base, the. I felt... as for the correct page display straight before you go posting.. Icon of that way to live only a simple life came to song meanings see... Nirvana was an American rock band Nirvana think this is really the song!, overseas, and songs that relate to how i feel this way of analogy, denial! Yankovic made a parody of this song if you don ’ t want to check that your facts are before! Story of the fans that wants only to be entertained Ltd. Log in to... Song by the American rock band Nirvana leave a comment or a different vision the. Statement about the song means translation '' of the depression and the desperation of a new and generation!

Month With Most Rainfall In France, Gateway Seminary Job Board, Jermichael Finley Twitter, Visualsvn Server License, Community Season 3 Episode 15, Brick Sill Detail Australia, Grey Masonry Paint The Range, John 10:14-15 Meaning, Gateway Seminary Job Board,